Baby recovers after feather causes health problems

HUTCHINSON, Kan. (AP) — A 7-month-old girl was a bit of a medical mystery after being admitted to a Hutchinson hospital Saturday when an area of her jaw swelled up larger than a golf ball.

Luckily, a doctor at Hutchinson Regional Medical Center discovered the problem when she pulled a 2-inch black feather out of young Mya Whittington's neck area.

The Hutchinson News reports (http://bit.ly/T8OcHJ ) the girl at some point likely swallowed or inhaled the feather, which then pierced the inside of her cheek or throat. The feather was trying to force its way out of her body, which caused the swelling.

Doctors say the girl probably had been in a lot of pain for quite awhile. But her mother, Emma Whittington, says her daughter cried only when nurses poked her.

___

Information from: The Hutchinson (Kan.) News, http://www.hutchnews.com

©2014 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.