Dead Ohio boy's family had been checked earlier

By

CLEVELAND (AP) — An Ohio couple under investigation in the death of their malnourished 18-month-old son had been investigated twice while living in the Cleveland area.

The Cuyahoga (ky-uh-HOH'-guh) County Children and Family Services agency said Tuesday it had received hotline neglect tips in 2005 and 2007. The first tip was closed after meeting with the family and the second led to a protective order.

Agency spokeswoman Mary Louise Madigan says the second complaint focused on missed medical appointments and similar issues but malnourishment wasn't among them.

The couple, who had four children at the time, moved from Lakewood to Erie County in 2007 and the oversight was turned over to that county.

No charges have been filed in the boy's death last week in Vermilion.

WEWS-TV first reported the neglect tips.

©2014 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.