Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about on Friday:
1. WHY OBAMA'S IN A BIND
He's got to stand his ground against the GOP, and risk falling off the "fiscal cliff," or reach a compromise — and risk angering liberal Democrats.
2. GABRIELLE GIFFORDS FACE-TO-FACE WITH THE MAN WHO TRIED TO KILL HER
The former congresswoman looks closely at the convicted gunman for several minutes at his sentencing hearing but says nothing.
3. STORM VICTIMS ARE COLD, TIRED — AND LOSING PATIENCE
Hundreds of thousands of customers in New York and New Jersey are still waiting for the electricity to come back on.
4. PENTAGON SAYS IRANIAN WARPLANE FIRED AT DRONE
The U.S. tells Tehran that surveillance will continue over international airspace in the Persian Gulf.
5. WHAT WILL HAPPEN DURING DRIVE TIME AS BABY BOOMERS TURN 65
As millions drive less, demands on public transportation will increase and gas tax revenues will drop.
6. NEW ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY TO BE NAMED FRIDAY
The next leader of the world's Anglicans is expected to be Justin Welby, who shifted mid-career from the oil industry to the clergy.
7. WHO'S BEHIND FALSE CLAIMS ABOUT FLOOD-DAMAGED CARS
The AP finds that a company selling repair histories and a car dealers group spread the rumor that faulty vehicles will inundate the U.S. used-car market.
8. BILL O'REILLY VS, THE BREASTFEEDING BABY DOLL
"I just want the kids to be kids," the conservative TV personality says in decrying a toy that makes suckling sounds.
9. MARILYN MONROE PICS AUCTIONED IN POLAND
Photos of the starlet taken by a celebrity photographer fetch up to $20,000 each. Some have never been published.
10. COLLEGE HOOPS BEING PLAYED ON MILITARY COURTS
The season's first games will tip off Friday on two aircraft carriers and at a U.S. air base in Germany.