NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — Newark authorities say carbon monoxide leaking from a generator apparently caused the deaths of two sisters at a city apartment building.
The sisters, ages 18 and 19, were found in the building Wednesday night. Residents say the generator was being used in an attempt to light the building that had been without power since Superstorm Sandy hit the state.
Newark Police Director Samuel Demaio said the generator apparently was kept too close to an open window. He told The Star-Ledger of Newark (http://bitly.com/VEBVtG) that if a generator is too close to a window, the differing temperatures cause a vacuum that pulls carbon monoxide into the apartment.
Information from: The (Newark, N.J.) Star-Ledger, http://www.nj.com/starledger