Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about today (times in EDT):
1. KEY ECONOMIC REPORT BEFORE ELECTION DAY
At 8:30 a.m., the government's snapshot of the U.S. economy, likely to show it growing at a tepid rate, probably won't sway many undecided voters before Nov. 6.
2. ROMNEY FACING QUESTIONS ON THE TRAIL
The presidential contender is being queried over his role in a former associate's divorce and is facing continued pressure to break his silence on a GOP Senate candidate's controversial comment on rape and pregnancy.
3. DEADLY ATTACK AT BEGINNING OF EID
A suicide bomber blows himself up outside a mosque in northern Afghanistan, killing 35 people and wounding at least 70, officials say.
4. MONEY POURING INTO RACE FOR THE WHITE HOUSE — $2 BILLION WORTH
The eye-popping figure puts this election on track to be the costliest ever.
5. WHAT YOU CAN DO TO NAVIGATE WINDOWS 8
With Microsoft's latest launch, buyers will find an operating system unlike anything they've seen before. AP's Peter Svensson is here to guide you through it.
6. SANDY MAY WREAK HAVOC ON EAST COAST
The Category 1 hurricane raged through the Bahamas after leaving 21 people dead across the Caribbean, following a path that could see it blend with a winter storm and reach the U.S. East Coast as a monster phenomenon next week.
7. BIPARTISAN LOVE FOR AN UNAPOLEGETIC LIBERAL
At 2 p.m. in Sioux Falls, S.D., George McGovern, a three-time presidential candidate and former U.S. senator, will be remembered fondly by members of both parties during his funeral.
8. THE WORLD WAITS TO SEE IF CEASE-FIRE HOLDS
The U.N. chief urges all influential countries to pressure both sides to stop the violence in Syria's civil war.
9. AIR TRAVELERS' PRIVACY GETS AN UPGRADE
At some airports, the government is replacing full-body X-ray scanners with less-invasive machines.
10. TIGERS LOOKING LIKE ANYTHING BUT FAVORITES
Surprising San Francisco rides superb pitching and grind-it-out offense to take a 2-0 World Series lead over Detroit.