GILLETTE, Wyo. (AP) — Campbell County Memorial Hospital says a patient who died after being infected with "flesh-eating bacteria" died Aug. 29.
The hospital's attorney, Tom Lubnau, says miscommunication and the misreading of a pathology report caused hospital officials to initially deny in September that it had treated any patients with a Group A Streptococcal infection.
The hospital now says it saw a patient Aug. 12 with a Group A Strep infection, though the type of infection wasn't necrotizing fasciitis (fash-EYE'-tiss), or flesh-eating bacteria.
The Gillette News-Record reports (http://bit.ly/Px3N1k ) a person with a Group A Strep infection that was confirmed to be flesh-eating bacteria was admitted Aug. 24 and later died. A person who had been caring for that person also was admitted with necrotizing fasciitis Sept. 17 and was transferred to another hospital.
Information from: The Gillette (Wyo.) News Record, http://www.gillettenewsrecord.com