OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Two men are being treated for second- and third-degree burns following a fire in an Omaha basement.
A report by the Omaha Fire Department says the fire occurred Friday night while the home's owner and his brother were working on a floor-etching project in the basement.
The report says the men forgot to shut off the pilot light on the gas water heater before spraying the basement floor with acetone. The homeowner told authorities he saw flames come from the utility room and burn along the baseboard of the basement. He and his brother scrambled out of a basement window, but still receive severe burns on their arms and legs. Both were taken to a hospital.
The fire quickly burned out a did little damage to the house.