Fire investigators said a cigarette was likely to blame for a fire that killed a Columbus woman Wednesday.
Columbus firefighters were called to the fire shortly after 5:30 p.m. at the Shirm Farms apartments near Canal Winchester.
Firefighters identified the victim as Deborah Moore, 61.
Battalion Chief Tracy Smith said firefighters were dispatched after a resident of the complex reported smelling smoke.
Fire crews entered Moore's apartment and found her unresponsive in her bed.
They said they did not hear a working smoke detector in the victim's apartment, but smoke detectors were going off in the adjoining units.
Firefighters said there was little damage inside the apartment.
"We just thought we had heavy smoke in there, went inside and it appears to be in the bedroom and a mattress on fire. So pretty much, it almost extinguished itself, snuffed itself out," Smith said.
Smith said it's believed that Moore died from smoke inhalation.
An autopsy is expected to be completed Thursday.