1. HAMAS, ISRAEL TRADE BLAME FOR SCUTTLING TRUCE
The failure to reach even a brief humanitarian lull in the fighting illustrated the difficulties in securing a more permanent cease-fire in the raging Gaza war.
2. WHAT'S KEPT EU FROM PRESSURING PUTIN ON UKRAINE
Divisions among its member states and fears of an economic backlash have stopped the 28-nation European Union from imposing broad sanctions on Moscow for supporting Ukraine separatists.
3. HOW PLAN TO SIMPLIFY 2015 HEALTH RENEWALS COULD BACKFIRE
People covered under the new U.S. health law who opt for convenience by automatically renewing their coverage for 2015 are likely to receive dated and inaccurate financial aid amounts from the government.
4. LAWMAKERS REACH INTERIM VA HEALTH REFORM DEAL
The chairmen of the House and Senate Veterans Affairs committees agree on a compromise plan to improve a veterans' health program plagued by long patient wait times.
5. HIGH-PROFILE LIBERIAN DOCTOR DIES OF EBOLA
And an American physician working in the West African nation is being treated for the deadly virus, highlighting the risks facing health workers trying to combat an outbreak there.
6. JUDGE STRIKES DOWN DC GUN LAW
The justice ruled that the District of Columbia's ban on carrying guns outside a person's home violates Second Amendment rights.
7. N. CALIF. CREWS BATTLE FIRES THAT BURNED 10 HOMES
The blaze in the Sierra Nevada foothills has charred at least 6 square miles of rugged terrain.
8. US SALMONELLA OUTBREAK CASE GOES TO TRIAL
Three people accused of scheming to manufacture and ship salmonella-tainted peanuts that killed nine people and sickened more than 700 are set to appear in a court in Georgia.
9. NEWPORT JAZZ FEST CULTIVATES EMERGING ARTISTS
On its 60th anniversary year, the Rhode Island music festival is adding a third day of music dedicated to up-and-coming talent.
10. BIG HURT, TORRE HEADLINE BASEBALL HOF CLASS
Slugger Frank Thomas, managers Joe Torre, Tony La Russa and Bobby Cox, and pitchers Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux are all inducted into the major league shrine in Cooperstown.