PetSmart Issues Warning To Bird Owners


UPDATED: Sunday June 15, 2014 10:29 PM

PetSmart is issuing a warning to bird owners after removing parakeets with a bacterial infection from 500 stores.

The infection called Psittacosis can be transferred to people.

A PetSmart spokeswoman says the infected birds were purchased any time since March of this year.

The infection causes flu-like symptoms.

PetSmart is urging parakeet owners with concerns to contact their local store.

The company has posted signs in its stores about the infected birds.

It has sent the infected parakeets to their supplier for antibiotic treatment.

Stay with 10TV and refresh 10TV.com for continuing coverage.

©2014 by 10TV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.