Baby Sitter's Ohio Sex Assault Trial Rescheduled


UPDATED: Wednesday June 4, 2014 9:11 AM

A southwest Ohio judge has ruled that a woman is competent to stand trial on charges that she sexually assaulted four children she baby-sat over several years.

Hamilton County Common Pleas Judge Steven Martin made his ruling after receiving results of a mental evaluation of 64-year-old Barbara Brooks. Her case has been delayed repeatedly, including a mistrial over witnesses shortly after a trial began last year.

This week, the judge set a new trial date of Sept. 2.

Brooks is from the western Cincinnati suburb of Colerain Township. She has pleaded not guilty to charges of rape and gross sexual imposition.

Prosecutors have said two of the accusers told police in April 2011 that Brooks had sexually abused them while baby-sitting between 2000 and 2007.

©2014 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.