- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Source)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk, (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen (not thawed) blueberries
Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg in a small bowl. Whisk ricotta, egg, egg white, buttermilk, lemon zest and juice in a large bowl until smooth. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
Brush a large nonstick skillet with 1/2 teaspoon oil and place over medium heat until hot. Using a generous 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, pour the batter for 2 pancakes into the pan, sprinkle blueberries on each pancake and cook until the edges are dry and bubbles begin to form, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining oil, batter and berries, adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent burning.