Teenager Alerts Couple To Burning Home


UPDATED: Tuesday October 29, 2013 12:08 AM

A teenager alerted a couple that their house was on fire Monday afternoon.

The fire scorched the second floor of a house at 81 Chicago Avenue on the west side of Columbus Monday afternoon just after 5 p.m. 

"There was no indication there was a fire going on over our head," Randy Hamblin said. He was downstairs and unaware of the flames burning above his head.

Jeremiah Conkey spotted the flames and ran over.

"I saw the smoke come out the window. So I ran down there and kicked in the door and asked if anybody was in there. And they said yeah and I said your house is on fire and you got get out," Conkey said. 

Hamblin believes it was a space heater that started the fire.

His four kittens were rescued from the home. A neighbor agreed to care for them.

The Red Cross is helping Hamblin and another person in the home find temporary housing. 

A firefighter was taken to the hospital to be checked out after feeling ill at the scene. 

Watch 10TV and refresh 10TV.com for the latest information.

©2014 by 10TV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.