Woman And Child Pulled From Burning Home


UPDATED: Thursday October 24, 2013 6:03 PM

Firefighters said two people were in critical condition after being pulled from a burning home in east Columbus Thursday morning.

Officials said the fire started around 12:40 a.m. at a home in the 5300 block of Ivyhurst Drive.

Firefighters said a Columbus Police Officer was the first on scene. He helped get a woman and two children, ages 5 and 7-years-old, out of the home.

Two more people were still inside when firefighters arrived.

The deputy fire chief said that a 4-year-old boy was found by firefighters in a front bedroom. He was not breathing.

Firefighters performed CPR on the boy and were able to get him breathing again.

The child's mother said her son had originally made it outside safely, but for some reason went back into the burning home and shut the door from behind.

“Had he not done that, he would have perished in the fire,” said Jim Cannell, Deputy Fire Chief, CFD.

The was taken to Nationwide Children's Hospital in critical condition.

India Burton said there were three children and her grandmother inside when the fire started. She was asleep when her grandmother suddenly woke her up.

Burton’s grandmother was taken to The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in critical condition.

Fire investigators were searching for what started the fire. Burton told 10TV that she believes it was started by a candle.

Stay with 10TV and refresh 10TV.com for updates on this story.

©2014 by 10TV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.