- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 cups mixed salad greens, such as frisée, watercress, Boston, escarole and/or curly endive, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 Belgian endive, cut crosswise into thin slices
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 2-inch slivers
- 4 ounces white mushrooms, cleaned and sliced (2 cups)
To prepare Walnut Vinaigrette: Combine shallot, vinegar, mustard and salt in a small bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes, then whisk in oil.
To prepare salad: Toast walnuts in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. (Alternatively, toast in a toaster oven at 350ºF for about 6 minutes.) Transfer to a plate to cool.
Just before serving, combine salad greens, endive, fennel and mushrooms. Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss to coat well. Sprinkle with walnuts and serve immediately.