A central Ohio parent says her child is still struggling to breathe after investigators found evidence of fungal growth in his school.
10TV first reported the discovery that was made inside Darby Woods Elementary in Galloway on Friday.
Erica Webber has three children attending the school and says her oldest boy, Eric Jr. spent time in the emergency room at Nationwide Children Hospital last week with respiratory type ailments.
“It hasn't been getting better, by any means, and he's on steroids and antibiotics,” said Webber of her 4th grader.
She says Eric Jr. began showing signs of mold exposure around the same time a teacher at his school complained of a musty smell and became sick last week.
Environmental crews were notified and the students were relocated to the school's media center while the investigation was under way.
The findings revealed moisture along a wall in that teacher's classroom, damage to the carpeting and cabinetry, and evidence of fungal growth.
The district says a weekend sweep of the affected areas have cleared up the problem.
Southwestern City Schools tells 10TV that the air quality inside the building is within industry standards and comparable to what children would encounter outdoors.
Webber says because Eric Jr. is already asthmatic, she is deeply concerned about his uncontrollable coughing.
“I don't think it's (mold exposure) 100 percent the cause because of the weather change and everyone is getting sick, but I definitely think that him being in the classroom every day and being exposed to it absolutely put him here and the doctors at Children's felt the same way,” she said.
Watch 10TV and refresh 10TV.com for the latest news.