1. ITALY SHIPWRECK LEAVES DOZENS DEAD
A ship carrying African migrants catches fire and capsizes off a Sicilian island, killing at least 78 and leaving hundreds of others unaccounted for.
2. NO PROGRESS AFTER OBAMA, LAWMAKERS MEET
Boehner says the president "refuses to negotiate," while Pelosi says Republicans keep "moving the goal posts" on a budget deal.
3. GLITCHES PERSIST ON HEALTH INSURANCE EXCHANGES
In a way, the delays are good news for Obama and his supporters because the computer problems are apparently due to exceptionally high interest.
4. VAST ONLINE DRUG OPERATION HALTED, FEDS SAY
More than $1 billion in transactions for illegal drugs and services was brokered through the secret website allegedly run by a San Francisco man.
5. 'THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER' AND 'PATRIOT GAMES' AUTHOR DIES
Tom Clancy's extreme attention to technical detail helped make him the most widely read and influential military novelist of his time.
6. WHERE THE WORLD'S TRASH IS NO LONGER AS WELCOME
China is clamping down on an industry that has helped the rich West dispose of its waste but also added to the degradation of the communist nation's environment.
7. WHAT PROMPTED ATTACK ON RUSSIA'S EMBASSY IN LIBYA
The violent break-in by an armed mob apparently came in response to the killing of a Libyan air force pilot by a Russian woman.
8. HOW AFGHAN MILITANTS ARE SOWING FEAR
Roadside bombs targeting government troops send a message about the perils of serving in Afghanistan's security forces.
9. JACKSON CONCERT PROMOTER CLEARED OF NEGLIGENCE
The jury's ruling saves AEG Live from paying hundreds of millions of dollars in damages to the singer's mother, Katherine, and to his three children.
10. TAMPA BAY ENDS CLEVELAND'S SEASON
The Rays get a solid start from right-hander Alex Cobb and blank the Indians 4-0 in the AL wild-card game.
©2016 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.