Police say 12 people were killed by a shooter in an attack at a Washington Navy Yard. That shooter is now dead, bringing the death toll to 13.
D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier said in an early afternoon news conference that people were being told to stay in their homes and out of the area as authorities searched for two other possible suspects.
The police chief had officers were searching for two other people with firearms wearing military-style uniforms. A person with a military uniform was identified and cleared as a suspect.
Lanier says there is no indication of a possible motive at this time. She also said that one police officer was wounded in an exchange of gunfire with a shooter.
A law enforcement official told CBS News that the shooter apparently had a handgun, an AR-15 assault rifle, and a shotgun with him and was wearing dark blue clothing.
CBS reporter Bob Orr reported that the gunman has been identified as Aaron Alexis, 34, of Ft. Worth, Texas. The man is a retired Navy officer.
Officials say Alexis believed to have a criminal record there and to be a holder of a concealed carry weapon permit.
The Navy said in a release Monday that 34-year-old Aaron Alexis left the Navy on Jan. 31, 2011, as a petty officer 3rd class. It's not immediately clear why he left.
Alexis had been working for the fleet logistics support squadron No. 46, in Fort Worth, Texas. The Navy says his home of record was New York City.
Officials said that Alexis is believed to have gotten into the Navy Yard by using someone else's identification card. It is not yet clear if that individual was an accomplice or if that person's ID card was stolen.
The Naval Sea Systems Command headquarters employs around 3,000 people, just miles from the Capitol.
In a speech Monday afternoon, President Obama said that "We will hold those responsible for this 'cowardly act' responsible."
Watch 10TV and refresh 10TV.com for the latest news.