A new reward is being offered for information in the death of an elderly Ross County man.
Harry Smith, 89, was found beaten to death in his home on Oct. 16, 2011.
His house had been set on fire.
Nearly two years later, Smith's family hopes if conscience won't bring his killer to light, cash might.
Though it took eight months for investigators to rule Smith’s death a homicide, his family says they had little question.
"He had scratches and cuts and abrasions and bruises. So we knew then," says Andrea Smith, the wife of the victim’s grandson.
Harry’s son Jerry Smith says nearly two years later, the shock has passed, but the pain hasn't.
"I used to call him almost every night, every evening. Still, when I come home in the evening, I sit down in my chair and think, 'Well, it's time to call Dad.' But Dad ain't there to call no more."
What holds them back, they say, is the absence of answers.
Who did this and why?
"It is pure evil that goes after an 89-year-old man,” says Andrea Smith. “We want that evil off the street."
To that end, the family is adding $5,000 to the reward for information leading to Smith's killer.
Added to rewards from the State Fire Marshal and Southern Ohio Crime Stoppers, there is now up to $15,000 on the table.
"The people who did this, I don't think they have a conscience,” says Andrea Smith. "I don't have any hope they're ever going come forward. But I think there are people who know them that have a conscience, who could use that $15,000 to get out of that group of people. That's what I pray they do."
Anyone with information on the death of Harry Smith is asked to call Southern Ohio Crime Stoppers at 800-222-TIPS.
You can also submit tips online here.
Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for more information.