Medical Officials Warn Of Wild Mushrooms Growing In Columbus


UPDATED: Monday July 15, 2013 3:34 PM

A wild mushroom ring is growing at Schiller Park in German Village, but experts say the plants can be dangerous if eaten.

Nationwide Children's Hospital reports that their poison control center has received 74 cases of mushroom ingestions in 2013. That's almost as many as in all of 2012.

Medical officials warn that mushrooms can be extremely toxic and eating poisonous ones can cause death.

An increase in rain this summer has led to more mushrooms growing in central Ohio.

Officials said only experts can tell the difference in the types of mushrooms, and some of the most lethal look similar to edible varieties.

The Central Ohio Poison Center can be reached at 1-800-222-1222.

Watch 10TV and refresh 10tv.com for the latest news.

©2014 by 10TV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.