Ohio AG Releases School Safety Recommendations


UPDATED: Friday June 7, 2013 5:17 PM

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine has announced the recommendations of a committee formed to evaluate school safety in the wake of last year's school shootings in Connecticut and in Chardon in northeast Ohio.

The task force included educators and police and fire officials, who reviewed ways to improve school safety plans.

The plans are schools' responses to a variety of emergencies, from active shooters to fires, accidents, severe weather or medical emergencies.

DeWine said the recommendations include schools forming local partnerships with first responders to manage school emergencies and the state providing a template safety plan that includes best practices Ohio schools can use.

The template will be available for download from the AG's website. Each school can customize the document to provide key information like phone numbers and floor plans.

The task force found that while all schools are required to provide the state a school safety plan, 189 schools have not updated their plan within three years, as required by the law. Another 58 schools' submissions lacked floor or emergency operation plans.

"The task force compiled and developed these recommendations so schools that need to update their safety plans have solid resources to create a sustainable safety plan for their school," DeWine said.

DeWine announced the task force in December following the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut that killed 20 first graders and six adults.

The task force recommendations also follow last year's shooting at Chardon High School, where a teen gunman killed three students in a cafeteria.

Watch 10TV and refresh 10TV.com for the latest news.

©2014 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.