Local race organizers plan all year for races and sat security and safety are their top priority.
David Babner has been the director of the Capital City Half Marathon since its first year in 2004.
This year he expects 14,000 runners and walkers and 20,000 fans and spectators taking part.
Babner said the Boston attack strikes at the heart of everyone in the running community, but there are emergency plans in place involving Columbus police and fire departments.
And he points out local authorities have a great deal of experience protecting large crowds at local events.
"We do work with the bomb squad in Columbus, so we do sweep the course. We'll sweep the finish line, we'll sweep the start line, we'll sweep anyplace we can or need to. We will take the recommendations of Lieutenant Smith and the Columbus Fire Department. They do a remarkable job. Obviously they keep Ohio Stadium safe. They keep a number of other areas safe in Downtown Columbus. So we'll work very closely with them to execute and work with whatever plan they help us put in place."
10TV News spoke with officials at Komen Race for the Cure.
"The senseless act of violence-it's all of our worst fears," said Becca Thomas, Director of Events and Marketing for Komen Columbus. She said last year the event drew 44,000 participants.
Thomas said after Monday's tragedy in Boston, organizers will take a closer look at their security plans.
"We'll certainly probably follow up with the police and fire and ensure that the precautions we've taken are going to be sufficient," she said. "We might add additional precautions here and there depending on what they think would be the best option."
They say along with their crisis plan and emergency operations center, there are hundreds of first responders on the scene and at the ready to respond in case something goes wrong.
Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for more information.