Our version of the classic, convenience dinner is sure to please the whole family, even with the added fresh vegetables. Make It a Meal: Serve with roasted potato wedges and steamed beans.
- 12 oz. 90%-lean ground beef
- 1 each large onion, finely diced
- 2 cup finely chopped cremini mushrooms (about 4 ounces)
- 5 each plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup chili sauce, such as Heinz
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 8 each whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted if desired
Crumble beef into a large nonstick skillet; cook over medium heat until it starts to sizzle, about 1 minute. Add onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until the vegetables are soft and the moisture has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add tomatoes and flour; stir to combine. Stir in water, vinegar, chili sauce and ketchup and bring to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened and the onion is very tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve warm on buns.
The filling will keep in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Giant Eagle by Eating Well