Ohio Fire Marshal Points Out Winter Fire Risks


UPDATED: Sunday December 23, 2012 7:49 PM

The state fire marshal was warning Ohioans of the increased risk for home fires as temperatures fall and winter storms become more likely.
   
Ohio Fire Marshall Larry Flowers said the use of candles, heating sources and makeshift cooking methods when winter storms interrupt electric service can significantly increase fire risks. He said following simple safety precautions can reduce risks of fires and buildup of carbon monoxide fumes.
   
Flowers said kerosene heaters and space heaters should be kept away from anything combustible and oven ranges should never be used to heat homes.
   
Generators or other fuel-powered machines should only be used outside the home and never connected to power lines
   
Flowers also said that all electrical appliances should be placed in the off position if power goes out.

©2014 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.