Fire officials say while generators can provide power when the lights go out, they need to be used responsibly to avoid injuries.
Carbon Monoxide poisoning is one concern that experts have.
"A common mistake is that people try to use it in a garage which can cause Carbon monoxide concerns. So you want to make sure you're using it outside in a well-ventilated area, away from doors and windows," said Tom Saunders of the Liberty Township Fire Department.
Another common mistake fire officials see is people using the generator by plugging it directly into a wall outlet in a home. This can cause shock issues when the power companies restore the service.
Saunders said to plug your appliances directly into the generator or into an extension cord that runs to the generator.
Finally, make sure the generator is cool when you refill it with gas so that you don't get burned.
Watch 10TV and refresh 10TV.com for the latest news.