More than a dozen people were forced to flee an apartment building on the northeast side.
A fire started inside an apartment, located along Sandridge Avenue, near Morse Road around 3 a.m.
Lenora Jones said she and a police officer went door to door waking up residents inside the building and helping them escape.
“As soon as I came out smoke and flames, orange flames,” Jones said. “I ran to my neighbor’s door, kicked the door. The Columbus police got here and started banging on doors and got everyone out.”
Jones said that her neighbors opened their doors to the displaced tenants. She said she would never forget the sight that greeted her sleepy eyes this morning.
“I stood there stunned,” Jones said.
The apartment where the fire started was considered a total loss. Firefighters said that the fire appears to have started accidentally.
Investigators said that no one was injured during the fire or evacuation.
Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for more information.