The Le Ax Water District issued a boil alert on Sunday for all of its customers in Athens County.
According to the Athens County Emergency Management Agency, the boil order was put in place because of broken water lines and flooding and major power outages.
Official said that water could be contaminated and could cause illness.
The Le Ax system was experience low to no water pressure in many areas, 10TV News reported.
The Athens County Emergency Management Agency provided the following tips:
- Bring water to a full boil, and boil for three minutes prior to use.
- Use only boiled water for drinking, preparing food or baby formula.
- To improve the flat taste of boiled water, keep cold in refrigerator.
- Put a cup over your faucets as a reminder to not use tap water – not even to brush your teeth!
- Instead of boiling water, you can disinfect water by adding one teaspoon unscented chlorine laundry bleach for every five gallons of water. Let stand 30 minutes before using.
- Be sure to use sanitized food grade containers for storing water.
- To disinfect water storage containers, pour a solution of one tablespoon of unscented chlorine bleach to a gallon of water into a container. Let the solution remain in the container for 10 minutes, then pour out the solution. Rinse with purified water.
- Boiled or disinfected water can be stored for six months.
- Dispose of ice cubes.
- When washing dishes, make sure to sterilize dishes with a final dip in water that has one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water. Disposable tableware is an option during a boil order.
- It is also recommend you sanitize hands when washing. Again use one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water and rinse hand frequently by pouring rinse over the hands. Use paper towels to dry.
- Water for bathing doesn’t need to be boiled. Supervise children to avoid water being ingested.
Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for more information.
©2013 by 10TV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.