A man was in critical condition Monday from injuries sustained during an explosion at his home late Sunday.
According to investigators, the explosion occurred at the home, located along Utah Ave, shortly before midnight. Fire officials said that the explosion was caused by gas or ignitable vapors.
The source of vapor was not immediately known, 10TV’s Justin Moss reported.
"You could see the glow in the sky about four or five miles away," Newton Township Fire Department Chief James Glover said.
Six fire crews were called to control the flames, which engulfed the home. Departments had to use tankers to truck in water because the township does not have fire hydrants, Moss reported.
Investigators said that the explosion tossed the garage door 80 feet across the street.
Resident Michael Clark was found lying on the ground with serious burns.
"When I got on the scene, it was totally engulfed," said David Palmer, Clark’s future father-in-law said.
Clark was transported to Licking Memorial Hospital. He was later moved to The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, in Columbus. The man's fiancée, Daneeka Palmer, and daughter were not injured.
George Grandstaff, who owns the home that exploded, said that he was shocked. Grandstaff said that he and his family lived in the home for 20 years and rented the house to the young couple.
“We were happy to have them in here, and it was kind of like a dream for them to be in here, because it was such a nice house and they weren’t used to it,” Grandstaff said.
Neighbor Brandon Booth said that the fire was raging.
“It was pretty intense,” Booth said. “Before the fire department got here, I mean, the garage was gone within five minutes.”
Grandstaff said that he was concerned about his tenant.
“He’s a good guy and we want to see him get better,” Grandstaff said. “He’s been through a lot in his life, and he didn’t need this.”
Investigators said that the house was completely destroyed.
A pastor from the couple’s church said that the church was asking parishioners to donate items to help the couple, Moss reported.
Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for more information.