Despite violations and claims of abuse, a camp for troubled youth will stay open for business
following an investigation by the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.
In February, a 10 Investigates' report exposed years of documented crimes against campers at the
Central Ohio Boys Residential Academy, located in Fairfield County.
Images From February Report
Justin Kinney, a former resident at COBRA, claimed that he and other campers were injured at the
hands of workers.
"He grabbed my head by the side and slammed it against the wall," Kinney said. "I was dizzy; It
hurt (and) I had a real bad headache after that."
A former COBRA worker claimed to have seen the abuse, 10 Investigates' Paul Aker reported.
"Their heads or parts of their bodies being put through drywall," a worker who wished to remain
10 Investigates also uncovered several former COBRA staff members who had been convicted of
crimes against campers -- crimes the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services were not aware of,
In a recently-completed investigation of the camp, ODJFS did find new violations. An ODJFS
summary of non-compliance issued in April noted violations related to improper documentation of
medical issues for kids at the camp.
The violations were very minor, said COBRA director Larry Cunningham.
ODJFS agreed and renewed COBRA's license, saying it had worked out problems, Aker reported.
"Once they came into compliance with that corrective action plan and the changes implemented
were satisfactory, we moved forward with the license," said Dennis Evans with ODJFS.
As a result of 10 Investigates' report, ODJFS said it planned to start ranking the seriousness
of violations at places like COBRA in order to make it easier for everyone to sort out whether a
license should be in jeopardy, Aker reported.
The department also plans to propose fines for violations.
Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for additional information.
February 20, 2008:
Pattern Of Abuse Seen At Private Youth Camp