2 Charged With Shooting Police Officers

UPDATED: Friday May 2, 2008 1:00 PM
Two men, including a former Ohio State University football player, were arrested in connection with a shooting Wednesday night that left two officers hospitalized. 
Derrick Foster was charged with two counts of felonious assault and two counts of attempted murder.
Foster, 38, played for Ohio State from 1988 to 1992, 10TV's Tino Ramos reported.
In 1995, Foster began working for the City of Columbus. He's now a supervisor in the Code Enforcement Office. His personnel file listed no problems at work, 10TV News reported.
On Thursday afternoon, Columbus police announced that Michael T. Gravely was also arrested in connection with the shootings.
Gravely, 19, was charged with two counts of felonious assaults and two counts of attempted murder, police said.
According to police, no charges were expected to be filed against other individuals taken into custody for questioning.
Officers John Gillis and Anthony Garrison were shot Wednesday night during a drug raid at a house in the 1700 block of East Rich Street near Fairwood Avenue.
Gillis and Garrison were part of a narcotics tactical unit trying to shut down a suspected crack house, Columbus police Sgt. Rich Weiner told 10TV News.
The officers were both veteran members of the police department and have been with the narcotics tactical unit since 1995, 10TV's Patrick Bell reported.
Fraternal Order of Police local president Jim Gilbert said Garrison was shot twice in the arm and once in the hip. Gillis was shot in the leg.
"The officers are conscious, they're alert, they're with family and they're in good spirits," Gilbert said.
Both officers were in stable condition at Grant Medical Center on Thursday morning, 10TV News reported.
Weiner said the officers were shot as they were attempting to enter the house, and that other officers returned fire.
Columbus police Officer Josh McAllister was at the scene of the shooting. He told 10TV News that he jumped in to help medics who were working on Gillis' wound.
"I held my hand over the top of the gunshot wound and just held it there as tight as I could," McAllister said. "I just tried to get the bleeding to stop as much as possible."
Narcotic officers said Gillis was in danger of bleeding to death until medics and fellow officers came to his aid, 10TV's Maureen Kocot reported.
Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for continuing coverage.