Up to the minute school delays, icy road conditions and accident reports on 10TV.
Red, White and Boom! Traffic Information
The 2013 “Red, White and Boom!” celebration takes place on Wednesday, July 3. Please see below for information on road closures as well as tips for getting to and from the celebration easily and safely.
Arrive as early as possible on Wednesday, preferably before 5 p.m. (the parade starts at 6 p.m.). This can help you beat the congestion and find a good spot for viewing.
Carpool or take COTA. To reduce parking problems and congestion, share a ride to the Boom! COTA users will have free access to view the fireworks from inside Huntington Park. COTA will deploy a large number of additional buses to provide frequent service to and from several Park and Rides around Franklin County as well as extended service on many routes serving downtown. COTA staff will be available downtown and at the Park and Rides. When you leave for the celebration, a COTA staff member will tell you the best place to catch your bus to get back. Check COTA’s Website for details.
Watch carefully for pedestrians and cyclists. Please be alert and cautious. Wear bright or reflective colors to be seen when you are walking around the event.
Some of the best bets for routes to Red, White and Boom:
• Southbound S.R. 315 or northbound I-71: take SR. 315 to Town/Rich Street ramp
• From southbound I-71: exit at E. Broad Street or E. Main Street
• From I-70: Exit at Fourth Street
• From I-670: Exit at Third Street
Best bet to get home: Stay for a while after the fireworks, live bands will play at several locations after the display. When you do leave, follow law enforcement officers’ directions.
Monday , July 1, at 5 a.m. through Thursday, July 4 at 6 a.m.
• Washington Boulevard between W. Broad Street and W. Main Street
• S. Civic Center Dr. from W. Broad Street to W. Main Street
Tuesday, July 2, at about 9 a.m. through Thursday, July 4 at 6 a.m.
• W. Long Street between Hocking Street and Marconi Boulevard (One lane will open for rush hour on July 3 from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m.)
• North and south curb lanes of Nationwide Boulevard between Neil Avenue and N. Ludlow Avenue
• The two curb lanes of Marconi Boulevard between W. Gay Street and W. Broad Street
Wednesday, July 3, 9 a.m. through Thursday, July 4, 6 a.m.
• Nationwide Boulevard between Neil Avenue and S. Ludlow Avenue
• Marconi Boulevard between Nationwide Boulevard and W. Locust Street
• Marconi Boulevard between W. Long Street and W. Broad Street
• North curb lane of W. Broad Street between Washington Blvd. and Belle Street
Wednesday, July 3 at 2 p.m. (for parade formation) through 7 p.m.
• Starling Street between W. Broad Street and W. Town Street
• W. Rich Street from McDowell Street to Belle Street
• Rush Alley between Starling Street and Belle Street
• W. State Street between McDowell Street and Belle Street
• Belle Street between W. Broad Street and W. Town Street
• South curb lanes of W. Broad Street between McDowell Street and Belle Street
• North curb lane of W. Town Street between Starling Street and Belle Street
For Parade Movement -July 3, 5:50 p.m. until approx. 7:30 p.m.
• Front Street between W. Mound Street and Vine Street
• W. Lynn Street between N. Front Street and N. High Street
• W. Gay Street between N. Front Street and N. High Street
• W. Long Street between Marconi Boulevard and N. High Street
• W. Spring Street between Marconi Boulevard and N. High Street
• W. Lafayette Street between N. Ludlow Street and N. High Street
• Nationwide Boulevard between N. Ludlow Street and N. High Street
• W. Spring Street between N. High Street and Neil Avenue
• N. Ludlow Street between W. Spring Street and W. Long Street
• W. Hickory Street between N. Front Street and Marconi Boulevard
• W. Town Street between S. Front Street and S. Civic Center Drive
• W. Rich Street between S. Front Street and S. Civic Center Drive
• At about 2 p.m. the parade staging begins on W. Rich Street between McDowell Street and the Main Street Bridge
• At 6 p.m., the parade proceeds east to S. Front Street, then continues north on Front Street to Spring Street.
Wednesday, July 3, 6 p.m. (for fireworks) through midnight
• All streets south of Spring Street, north of Mound Street, east of McDowell Street and west of Third Street.
Handicapped Parking will be available at the following locations:
• Mound St. (north side) from Second to Civic Center Dr.
• Gay St. from High St. to Front St.
Additionally, expect various parking restrictions beginning Monday, July 1.
See Columbus Department of Public Service web site for details.
Other area road closures: Paving the Way and ODOT Crossroads Project Information
Columbus Police Twitter
Paving the Way Facebook