WBNS-10TV Is Again Ratings Leader In Central Ohio
WBNS-10TV continued its dominance in capturing the most newscast viewers during a successful July ratings period, winning key time periods, from sign-on to sign-off, including every local newscast.
WBNS-10TV finished the July sweeps with wide margins of victory and increased viewership over last year. A year-to-year comparison (July 2012-July 2013) shows household ratings growth at 4:30 a.m., 5 a.m., 6 a.m., 5 p.m. and 11 p.m. Three weekday morning newscasts finished with record numbers. 10TV News at 4:30 a.m. achieved its highest household rating in July measurement since signing on in 2011. 10TV News at 5 a.m., with a 4.3 household rating, is the station’s highest July rating ever, from Columbus’ first metered market July book in 1997. 10TV News at 6 a.m., with a 6.2 household rating, had its best July measurement since 2007. Additionally, 10TV was also the only news station to improve ratings year-to-year at 5 p.m. and weekday late news, including 10 p.m.
“I’m very pleased that we continue to be number one in every local newscast,” said 10TV Director of News Elbert Tucker. “It’s also gratifying to know that we achieved such significant household rating growth in our morning newscast, which is a testament to the fact that our newscasts are produced with new, fresh and up-to-the-minute content that is relevant to viewers.”
The July 2013 sign-on/sign-off victory was a result of combining hard, local breaking news, strong weather coverage and stories that matter.
This month, WBNS-10TV launched a new segment, “Side Roads of Central Ohio,” which features compelling stories collected by 10TV News Anchor Kristyn Hartman, who travels the region, engaging central Ohioans about their unique adventures, talents and life experiences.
WBNS-10TV continued to draw viewers in July with compelling stories from the Watchdog 10 and CrimeTracker 10 units.
Chief Meteorologist Chris Bradley and the Doppler 10 weather team’s dedication to covering severe weather outbreaks this July also helped propel the station’s growth in newscast ratings.
10TV’s strong performance in July is not limited to local news and weather. The station also turned in top-rated performances in non-news programming. In addition, WBNS-10TV retained its number one position in the Columbus television market for access, primetime and late fringe programming.
Local News Highlights
• 10TV News @ 4:30 a.m. [3.1 rating, 15 share], with Jeff Hogan, Angela An and Mike Davis leads WSYX by 2 rating points and 10 share points. The newscast is also up 1.1 rating points year-to-year.
• 10TV News @ 5 a.m. [4.3 rating, 19 share], with Jeff Hogan, Angela An, Mike Davis and Karina Nova leads WCMH by 2.2 rating points and 10 share points. The newscast also grew in rating points and year-to-year.
• 10TV News @ 6 a.m. [6.2 rating, 23 share] with Jeff Hogan, Angela An, Mike Davis and Karina Nova continues to rule the time period. The newscast holds a 1.6 rating point advantage over its nearest competitor.
• 10TV News @ Noon [7.7 rating, 21 share], with Tracy Townsend and Mike Davis continues to be Columbus’ #1 newscast in the time period by a wide margin. A 7.7 rating has put 10TV 4.5 rating points above second place WSYX and 5.4 rating points over WCMH.
• 10TV News @ 5 p.m. & 5:30 p.m. [7.8 rating, 17 share] continue to lead all competitors in the time period. 10TV News with Kristyn Hartman, Jerry Revish and Chris Bradley beat 2nd place station WCMH by 3.3 rating points and WSYX by 3.7 rating points. 10TV News @ 5:30 p.m., with Kurt Ludlow and Tracy Townsend, continued to solidify WBNS-10TV News as Central Ohio’s News Leader, propelling its dominance into the 6 p.m. hour.
• 10TV News @ 6 p.m. [8.5 rating, 18 share] with Kristyn Hartman, Jerry Revish, Chris Bradley and Dom Tiberi, is once again central Ohio’s top-rated 6:00 p.m. newscast. It holds a 2.3 rating point advantage in the time period.
• 10TV News @ 11 p.m. [8.8 rating, 17 share] with Kristyn Hartman, Jerry Revish, Chris Bradley and Dom Tiberi, is the leader in late news again, now with a 3.2 rating point lead over its nearest competitor.
Daytime Programming Highlights
• Live with Kelly & Michael [3.8 rating, 11 share] has grown in rating and share year-to-year.
• Let’s Make A Deal [4.1 rating, 12 share] leads all other programming in the time period and has increased in rating and share points year-to-year.
• Price is Right [6.3 rating, 18 share] remains number one with viewers over programming on WCMH, WSYX and WTTE, beating its closest competitor by 3.6 rating points and 10 share points.
• The Talk [3.1 rating, 9 share] continues to receive strong ratings, overtaking its closest competitor by .4 rating points and 2 share points.
• Dr. Oz [2.9 rating, 8 share] performs best in the time period, beating its closest competitors by .8 rating points.
• Dr. Phil [4.1 rating, 10 share] maintains a lead in daytime television, beating its closest competitor by .4 rating points and 1 share point.
Access/Primetime/Late Fringe Highlights
• Jeopardy [10.2 rating, 20 share] & Wheel of Fortune [7.3 rating, 14 share] remain Columbus’ top programs in the prime access hour, with both continuing to dominate all other programs in the period, in both rating and share.
• CBS Prime [6.1 rating, 1 share], is the favorite in Columbus again with an 11 share of viewing Monday-Sunday.
• Letterman [4.2 rating, 10 share] continues to maintain its lead over The Tonight Show, by 1 rating point and 2 share points.
The numbers contained in this release are based on July Nielsen Final Overnight Live +7 as available (28 of 28 days, June 27-July 24).
WBNS-10TV is a member of The Dispatch Broadcast Group, which also includes WBNS-AM//FM in Columbus and WTHR-TV in Indianapolis, Indiana.