Water Heater Sparks Fire

Published: .
Updated: .

The Red Cross is helping a Southeast Columbus resident after fire burned a hole through his mobile home.

The fire department says his water heater malfunctioned after he tried to light it at his home in the 1600 block of Anchor Drive West Wednesday evening.

Willie Mason says he was trying to relight the water heater so he could heat up some food.

He wished he had waited until the morning to try to light it.

"I know God won't put on you what you can't bear. So, I'll be fine. I'll be fine." Mason said.

The Red Cross helped Mason get a hotel room for the night.