Toxic Wild Mushrooms Sicken 12 In Ohio
Doctors are issuing warnings after toxic wild mushrooms were blamed for hospitalizing a dozen people in northeastern Ohio.
The Cleveland Plain Dealer (http://bit.ly/T8FLyz ) reports that doctors were advising against picking any wild mushrooms because of the risk of eating a type called amanita, a common variety that can cause severe liver damage or even death.
Dr. Pierre Gholam is a liver-disease specialist treating some of the patients at University Hospitals Case Medical Center in Cleveland. He said the mushroom's poison is not deactivated by cooking, freezing or boiling.
Some of the people were hospitalized after eating chicken cacciatore made with mushrooms picked by a friend. Three were still in intensive care.