Steubenville Teens In Court, Accused Of Threatening Victim Following Rape Case
Two Ohio teens accused of making online threats against a rape victim are scheduled for their first court appearance.
The 15- and 16-year-old Jefferson County girls have been held in juvenile detention in Steubenville since their arrest last week.
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine says the girls posted threatening comments on Twitter on March 17, the day two high school football players were convicted of raping a 16-year-old girl last summer. The case roiled the town of Steubenville and stirred reaction from activists online.
DeWine's office says the tweets threatened homicide and bodily harm against the rape victim.
The girls are expected to enter the juvenile court equivalent of a not guilty plea today.
The attorney for the 16-year-old declined to comment, and the attorney for the 15-year-old did not return a message.