Red Cross Helping Families Forced Out Into Cold By Overnight Apartment Fire

Published: .
Updated: .

The Red Cross was helping three families evacuated from their apartments because of an overnight fire.

Firefighters and medics were called to the 400 block of Barnett Road in East Columbus just after 3 a.m. Wednesday.

Medics sheltered residents from four apartments from the cold while firefighters knocked down the flames and handled heavy smoke that spread through the building.

One victim said he was woken up by the smell of smoke. After it continued for more than an hour, he called for help.

"I came outside, looked to the front and went to the back, and I could smell it outside, but I didn't think more of it. I went inside, waited around a little longer, and eventually it kept getting heavier, so I decided to call 911," said Danny Davis.

The fire was located in one of the vents in the building.

No injuries were reported.

Fire officials said they believe the fire started in electrical wiring in the wall. They estimate the damage caused by the fire at $20,000.

Stay with 10tv and for updates on this story.