Newark Police Officer Allegedly Threatens FedEx Drivers Over iPhone

Published: .
Updated: .

A police officer remained on desk duty Friday after he was accused of attempting to intimidate a FedEx driver.

Bobby Hartless was accused of making a threatening phone call to FedEx on Jan. 3 after missing the delivery of an iPhone, 10TV’s Glenn McEntyre reported.

According to the report, Hartless was attempting to have the driver return to his home. The report stated that Hartless told the FedEx operator that if he did not receive his package, all FedEx drivers would be in trouble.

The FedEx operator reported the threat. When a FedEx supervisor contacted Hartless, he allegedly said that he would take care of the situation and that “every driver will regret it.”

According to a phone call Hartless made to FedEx, he said he would “take care of it on my own.”

“Well, this is absolutely ridiculous. You know what?  I’ll just take care of it on my own. Every driver will regret it,” Hartless allegedly said in a conversation with FedEx.

Hartless was also accused of telling the FedEx supervisor that if any of her delivery drivers got into an accident or stopped for speeding in Newark, he would make sure they would receive tickets, according to the report.

Newark Police Chief Steve Sarver said that Hartless comes to work and does his job each day but said his record was troubling.

“This is a pattern of misconduct off the job, but each and every time he does it, we get dragged into it,” Sarver said. “He represents us, and we have a code of ethics, and we have values and rules that we adhere to, and this is not the kind of behavior that we want our employees engaging in.”

An internal investigation at the city of Newark Division of Police found Hartless guilty of four separate allegations and violating multiple policies, including the department’s code of ethics and professional standards, McEntyre reported.

Hartless had been disciplined by the Newark Division of Police before. In 2011, he was disciplined for allegedly engaging in an “ill-advised” police pursuit and suspended in 2010 after being charged with disorderly conduct while allegedly disciplining his daughter.

Hartless was also suspended in 2009 for allegedly leaving the scene of a crash where he later admitted he was drunk, McEntyre reported.

The findings of the investigation were sent to the Newark’s Safety Director to decide what punishment Hartless will receive.

Watch 10TV News and refresh for more information.