New Info: EMTs That Failed To Respond To Fatal Morrow County Crash Knew They Were Near The Scene

Published: .
Updated: .

New records obtained by 10TV connect the dots in a troubling investigation.

It's a story 10TV first uncovered two weeks ago: first responders not responding at all.

The incident in question is a June 30 crash in Morrow County that killed Kenneth and Elizabeth Bush.

Photo: Morrow County EMS tried to withhold records related to the emergency response to the crash that killed Kenneth and Elizabeth Bush. 

Tonight we have those records, and a much clearer picture of what happened that night, and why the closest ambulance did not respond.  New information at 6, only on 10tv.

Since then the company has fired an EMT and changed its policies.

This has been a difficult story to get information on because the Morrow County Firefighter and Squadsmen's Association, which runs EMS in Morrow County, maintained it was a private subcontractor and not subject to public records laws.

The Association has just turned those records over to 10TV, and they spell out clearly what went wrong the night of June 30.

As 10TV first reported July 10, four different crews were dispatched to the crash scene on State Route 95 in Edison: three of them from Mt. Gilead, one from Cardington.

But one crew, Squad 3, was closer than any other - just 2.3 miles from the scene- and opted not to respond.

An email from the paramedic on board Squad 3 confirms they were aware of the crash:

"We were at Kroger in Mt. Gilead filling up, the run on St Rt 95 went out. I got out of the truck and notified Carol that we should go. Her response was we weren't dispatched."

Squad 3 wasn't dispatched because EMS dispatchers weren't aware of its location.

At the time, Morrow County EMS policy didn't require crews to notify them if they were close to an emergency scene, and no one in Squad 3 did, until the next day when that paramedic emailed his supervisors about what had happened. 

That email sparked an internal investigation, during which EMS officials suspended EMT Carol Sayre for five days.

An employee warning form says Sayre "Failed to respond to an emergency when she was the closest vehicle. Again failed to respond when help was called for."

During that investigation, EMS officials say Sayre lied about her location when the crash call came out.

A fuel receipt shows they were at Kroger at 8:17pm, four minutes after the crash dispatch.

EMS officials say that lie is why Sayre was fired.

The paramedic who blew the whistle was reprimanded with the notation "The board agrees he did no wrong, but wish he would have been more proactive such as picking up the radio and notifying dispatch of their location.”

The incident also prompted this policy change:

"Crews are to monitor their radio for any run that gets dispatched. If your squad is in the general proximity to the run, you will notify dispatch...of your location."
10TV has made several attempts to reach Carol Sayre. She has not responded.

A review of her personnel file and found mostly positive performance reviews. Sayre was written up in 2008 for “carelessness.” Her supervisors said while responding to a carbon monoxide run, she stopped at home to give her keys to her boyfriend.