Man Runs Through Flames To Rescue Baby Girl From Burning Home

Published: .
Updated: .

A man was praised as a hero after braving flames to rescue a baby girl.

Mansfield firefighters said that a space heater placed too close to something in the room started the fire. The fire quickly engulfed the room where two-month-old Tamryn slept.

The guardians of the infant had just left the house, but left friend Jason Hood behind. Hood denies being called a hero, but his actions that evening were nothing short of it.

Hood said he was sleeping when the fire started. He awoke to the sound of wood burning.

“When I came through the door, I had to make a decision,” Hood said. “Whether I was going to run through the flames, that was the hottest part, and I did and I held her and I ran for the door.”

The split-second decision saved baby Tamryn’s life.

“It always sends chills through you,” Mansfield Fire Department Cpt. Dan Feldman said. “Children are always the hardest ones to find in a fire.”

Once the flames and smoke were extinguished, the damage from the fire could be seen. The baby’s room was charred, her crib destroyed.

“I told (Jason) there had to be an angel looking out for both of them,” Mansfield resident Jackie Davis said.

The family said that they were thankful to Hood and to the American Red Cross for putting them in a hotel for the night. The Red Cross also gave food and clothing to the family. With the holidays around the corner, the family did not know if they would recover in time.

Watch 10TV News and refresh for more information.