Lockdown Lifted After Phone Threat At Denison University

Published: .
Updated: .

Denison University and Granville Schools were put on lockdown on Wednesday afternoon.

Officials said the alert was because of a threat made to the Denison campus.

Police tell 10TV that a phone threat was made to Denison security around 2 p.m.

Granville school students were released in the late afternoon. The Denison campus was given the all clear around 3:45 p.m.

There are around 2,100 students on the Denison campus.

Late Wednesday afternoon, Denison officials released the following statement:

Shortly after 2 p.m., Denison received a telephone call indicating that a vehicle was coming to campus with the intention of shooting members of the campus community.  We immediately activated our emergency response team and placed the campus on lock-down. During the ensuing 90 minutes, we cleared the campus and closed all campus entrances.  Local, state and federal authorities were involved in our response and provided guidance and advice. All involved authorities have been monitoring social media that relate to these threats. At this point law enforcement officials have advised us that they do not believe there is any legitimate threat. They advised that Denison was one of a number of high schools and colleges that received nearly identical threats. We have asked local authorities to increase their patrols of campus over the next few days.

If members of our community wish to connect with University staff, staff counselors and other members of the staff will be available on the 4th floor of Slayter for the next two hours.

We are grateful to the campus community, the campus crisis team, and our local authorities for their immediate response on behalf of the well-being of our community. Should any new information become available, we will communicate in a timely way.

Dr. Laurel B. Kennedy
Vice President
Division of Student Development

Watch 10TV and refresh 10TV.com for the latest on this BREAKING NEWS.