Licking County Dogs Poisoned With Antifreeze Begin Recovery At Home
Dog breeders in Licking County said someone intentionally poisoned nearly 20 service dogs with antifreeze.
Michelle Wood of Blue Ribbon Labradors said she found the dogs convulsing and foaming at the mouth Friday.
She said blood work showed they were poisoned by antifreeze.
The Labrador Retrievers are considered America's most popular dog, known for their gentle nature and unconditional love for humans.
They serve many roles in society and Wood says hers are bred to be service dogs.
Some work with wounded veterans, others for the Pilot Dog Program.
She said her family's business was abruptly interrupted last week.
"I grabbed him by the collar, tried to help him get up. He got up and he kept stumbling and he fell down immediately," said Jordyn Wood, Michelle's 16 year-old son.
"Storm," a healthy stud and soon to be member of the family, had to be euthanized.
Six dogs remain hospitalized, 11 are now home recovering.
As part of their immediate treatment, the animals were given vodka intravenously to flush out the deadly ethylene glycol toxins.
Some have recovered faster than others.
Wood said she's heartbroken someone would do this to a business she helped her father grow over the years.
"They would never hurt anybody so I don't know how somebody could hurt them," she said.
The animals are slowly recovering.
Wood said she forgives whoever is responsible.
"I pray for their soul," Wood said. "I pray that they can lay their head on their pillow at night and I just pray that they are found and we can forgive them and they can forgive themselves."
The Licking County Sheriff's Office is asking anyone with information on this poisoning to come forward.
A reward of at least $1,000 is being offered for an arrest & conviction.
The organization says donations to pay for the medical bills can be made at any Park National Bank in Newark or Heath in Care of Blue Ribbon Labs.
Stay with 10TV and refresh 10TV.com for continuing coverage.