Home Destroyed During Bed Bug Battle

Published: .
Updated: .

Firefighters say a family of six escaped flames at their west Columbus home Wednesday.

Investigators say three adults and three kids were inside when the fire started at a North Harris Avenue home around 1:00 a.m.

Officials say the family was apparently dealing with bed bugs in the home and they attempted to use a lighter on the couch to destroy them.

The owners’ son apparently started the blaze.

“We sprayed the couch earlier but, uh, some alcohol you buy from the drug store which kills them on contact, and he was chasing one down with a lighter and the couch catch fire,” said Fred Horne, fire victim.

That caused the couch to go up in flames. They quickly tried to get the couch out of the house, but it got stuck in the doorway and caught the entire home on fire.

Horne knew it was time to get out.

“My beard started singeing, my eyebrows. I said we got to make it out the back door.

Neighbors say they're working to help the family with what they need.

Stay with 10TV and refresh 10TV.com for updates on this story.