Good Samaritan Saves Family From House Fire In West Columbus


Four people escaped a west Columbus house fire after a good Samaritan yelled inside to wake them up.

Now, a family tries to pick up the pieces of what’s left of their home.

"We don't have anything now. Nothing. What we had was in my house; it's all we had. In that house there. And it's gone,” said Royal Prince, a victim of the house fire.

As the flames scorched everything Prince owned, he couldn't help but watch.

"This is it. We've got nowhere else to go. We'll have to sleep in a car tonight.”

He and his family were sleeping before four this morning when a good Samaritan on the street began screaming to get their attention.

"The house was on fire.  I looked out the window and there she was, so I ran down and saw the fire and tried to put the fire out myself."

As flames spread through their home, Royal's wife, Vickie, ran down the hall, awoke her 12 and 14-year-old daughters and pushed everyone out, through black smoke.

"It was very, very thick.  That's all I can remember.  It was thick and I couldn't see and he's got asthma so he couldn't breathe at all."

Meanwhile, neighbors jolted awake, too.  They heard the explosion as flames surrounded the family's gas grill.

"The windows shook really loud and one of the pictures on this side of the wall hit the floor," said neighbor Connie Compnotta

A charred propane tank is now among the burnt mess in the backyard where the fire was concentrated.

The Prince family is now going through what's left of their home.  They're trying to salvage anything they can from the abundance of debris in their front yard.  However, they haven't been able to save much and unfortunately do not have insurance.  The family says everything they had and owned was in the house during the fire.