FTC Warns Of Scams In The Wake Of The Oso Mudslide
The Federal Trade Commission warns that scams often follow disasters.
It is up to the consumer to make sure your charitable donation will go to the people who need it.
The FTC says if you're asked to make a donation to support the Oso community:
- Donate to charities you trust
- Be alert for charities that seem to have sprung up overnight.
- Designate the disaster. That means give to a specific disaster rather than a general fund.
- Ask if a caller is a paid fundraiser, who they work for, and what percentage of your donation goes to the charity and to the fundraiser.
- Don't give out any personal or financial info; unless you know the charity is reputable.
- Never send cash
©2016 by 10TV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.