Chickpea, Spinach & Squash Gnocchi
- 1 pound frozen or shelf-stable gnocchi
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled butternut squash, or unpeeled delicata squash (1- to 2-inch-long slices)
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots, (1-2 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14-ounce can vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar reduction, or 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (see Note)
If using frozen gnocchi, cook in a large pot of boiling water according to package directions. Drain, rinse and pat dry. (If using shelf-stable gnocchi, skip this step.)
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add gnocchi and cook, stirring often, until starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, squash, shallots and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in broth, currants, sage and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring, until the squash is almost cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Add spinach, chickpeas and the gnocchi and cook, gently stirring, until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes more. Serve drizzled with balsamic reduction (or balsamic vinegar).