Baked Cod Casserole
From Giant Eagle by Eating Well
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/4 pounds cod, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped whole-wheat country bread, (about 2 slices)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup finely shredded Gruyere, or Swiss cheese
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until just starting to soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Add wine, increase heat to high and cook, stirring often, until the wine is slightly reduced, 2 to 4 minutes.
Place cod on the onions and sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. Cover the pan tightly with foil; transfer to the oven and bake for 12 minutes.
Toss bread with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, paprika and garlic powder in a medium bowl. Spread the bread mixture over the fish and top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, until the fish is opaque in the center, about 10 minutes more.