From Giant Eagle by Eating Well
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 yellow-fleshed potato, such as Yukon Gold (6 ounces), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory, or marjoram leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces asparagus, woody ends removed, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Place broth, water, potato, shallot, garlic, thyme, savory (or marjoram) and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the potato is tender, about 8 minutes. Add asparagus, return to a simmer, and cook, covered, until the asparagus is tender, about 5 minutes more.
Meanwhile, cook prosciutto in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring, until crisp, about 5 minutes.
Pour the soup into a large blender or food processor (see Tip); puree until smooth, scraping down the sides if necessary. Season with pepper. Serve topped with the crisped prosciutto.