2 Killed, Officers Injured In Clintonville Shootout


Columbus police say a man and woman are dead and two officers are injured following a shootout early Wednesday in Clintonville.

Police said the man was a person of interest in an April 5 homicide on Howey Road. He was killed along with a female who was driving the vehicle.

Sgt. Richard Weiner issued a news release Wednesday night which identified the man as Emanuel Gatewood.

The female was identified earlier as Kourtney Hahn by a man who said he was her biological father. Her identity was confirmed by Columbus police Wednesday night.

Officers said they spotted Gatewood's vehicle in the Howey Road area and tried to make a traffic stop on High Street.

That's when police said Gatewood opened fire on them.

Two officers were injured by glass and shrapnel from the shooting. They drove themselves to Riverside Methodist Hospital. The injuries were not life-threatening.

The vehicle continued north on High Street, and officers attempted to spike the tires to stop the vehicle.

The vehicle was stopped near a fire station just north of the intersection of North Broadway and North High Street around 5:20 a.m.

That's where a large shootout occurred.

“I actually heard sirens off in the distance at first, and then started hearing gunshots getting closer and closer. And then, finally, it sounded like a bunch of fireworks going off here,” said witness George Keeney.

“At least 30 seconds of continuous, just gun fire, I ended up lying on the floor because it sounded like it was getting closer and closer,” said witness Katie Robinson. “I thought maybe it was a transformer in our neighborhood,” said resident Sara Barlow. “There was just more and more popping.”

For about seven hours, 14 homeowners in the area were prevented from leaving their homes.

Columbus police dispatchers received at least eight separate 911 calls from witnesses.

“It sounds like there’s multiple gunshots out in the park. We live on the edge of the Park of Roses,” said one caller.

“It could be 50, literally 50 gunshots,” another caller said.

A police spokesman said that seven officers fired their weapons.

“The officers were responding to the actions of the suspects,” said Jason Pappas, the president of the local Fraternal Order of Police. “The suspects attempted to kill these officers, and their training kicked in, and they did what they had to do to survive that encounter.”

Hahn and Gatewood were both pronounced dead at the scene. Police said that two weapons were found in the vehicle. One of the guns was either a TEC-9 or one similar to it, police said.

“You cannot allow somebody who is shooting at police officers and civilians and wanted out of a homicide to be free and escape that area,” Pappas said. “(The officers) did an excellent job of making sure the citizens of Columbus were safe by taking suspects of homicides off the street."

Zaquioa Johnson, a cousin of Hahn, said that her family was getting little information about her.

The cousin said that Hahn was Gatewood's girlfriend. She said that the two had been dating for about a year, and the gold SUV that the two were riding in at the time of the shooting belonged to Hahn.

She said that Hahn may have been present at the time of the April 5 shooting, because police have been at her home a number of times in the last week.

“We don’t know if her body is still down there, we don’t know nothing,” Johnson said. “We’re just stuck. We’re lost. We don’t know, so we’re just sitting here trying to figure out what’s going on.”

Workers at the Caribou Coffee near High Street and Brevoort Road said a window in their restaurant was struck by a bullet.

One worker called 911.

“I work at Caribou Coffee. I don’t know what just happened, but my window’s broken and there’s like a hole in my window. … We just heard a big bang, and my both my fellow employees and I ran. I don’t know what the sound is, but it sounds like, it sounds like somebody is still knocking, but nobody is there.”

High Street was closed in both directions north of North Broadway up to Northmoor Place during the investigation.

Police said residents in the area of Hennepin Avenue were also told to stay in their homes during the incident.

The names of the officers involved had not yet been released Wednesday night.

Investigators said anyone finding shell casings in the area should contact police immediately.

Watch 10TV and refresh 10TV.com for the latest information.