10 Things To Know For Wednesday
1. OBAMA CHARTS END TO AFGHAN WAR
He says virtually all U.S. troops will be withdrawn by the end of 2016.
2. WHAT'S FUELING PAY GAINS AT THE TOP
The soaring stock market pushed the median pay package for a CEO above eight figures for the first time last year.
3. BLOODSHED SPIKES IN EASTERN UKRAINE
The fight for the region takes a ferocious turn, with both sides stepping up their attacks.
4. US FINALIZING PLAN TO TRAIN, EQUIP SYRIAN REBELS
If Obama approves the project, aid would go only to carefully vetted, moderate members of the opposition.
5. WHY CALIFORNIA KILLER'S RANTS STRUCK A NEW NERVE
Elliot Rodger's misogynistic views were expressed in a self-made video for all to see - different than some previous manifestos from notorious killers.
6. OBAMA'S TOP LAWYER TO PROBE DISCLOSURE OF CIA OFFICER'S NAME
The White House says chief counsel Neil Eggleston will also make recommendations to help ensure such a revelation doesn't happen again.
7. EGYPTIANS GIVEN ANOTHER DAY TO VOTE
The country's elections are extended in an apparent drive to raise turnout and avoid an embarrassingly meager show of support for front-runner el-Sissi.
8. HOW SCIENTISTS HOPE TO IMPROVE HURRICANE FORECASTING
Researchers plan to collect data from drones dispatched to the key spot where the roiling ocean meets the fury of a hurricane's winds.
9. CASTING CALL FOR MISBEHAVING TEENS
A producer is seeking teenagers as young as 13 who like to "party like a rock star" for a reality TV series - raising concerns that troubled youngsters might be exploited.
10. LI NA, STAN WAWRINKA EXIT EARLY AT FRENCH OPEN
It's the first Grand Slam tournament in which the singles champs from the preceding major have both bowed out in the first round.