10 Things To Know For Tuesday
1. AUDIT SHEDS LIGHT ON BACKLOG AT VA HOSPITALS
Over 57,000 U.S. military veterans have been waiting 90 days or more for their first medical appointments, and some 64,000 have apparently fallen through the cracks.
2. WHY TALIBAN SAYS IT ATTACKED PAKISTAN AIRPORT
The extremist group says the assault that killed 29 - including all 10 insurgents - was in revenge for the killing of the militant group's leader in a U.S. drone strike.
3. OBAMA EXPANDS PROGRAM CAPPING STUDENT LOAN PAYMENTS
The presidential memorandum will allow 5 million more borrowers to pay no more than 10 percent of their income monthly.
4. LAS VEGAS RAMPAGE ATTACKERS HAD ANTI-GOVERNMENT VIEWS
Jerad and Amanda Miller, who killed two police, a bystander and then themselves, held ideology shared by "militia and white supremacists," authorities said.
5. WHAT MIGHT HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO WRECK THAT INJURED TRACY MORGAN
A trucker accused of triggering the New Jersey Turnpike crash that also killed another comedian hadn't slept for more than 24 hours, authorities said.
6. CHRISTIE BUILDS COALITION FOR POSSIBLE 2016 BID
The New Jersey governor is traveling around the country, looking to reclaim his place as a promising Republican presidential prospect following the George Washington Bridge scandal.
7. SCIENTISTS SEEK WAYS TO BLOCK ALZHEIMER'S
A major study is underway to see if an experimental drug can protect healthy seniors whose brains harbor silent signs that they're at risk.
8. FRED GOLDMAN SAYS HE HAS MOVED ON WITH LIFE
20 years after the death of his son and Nicole Simpson, and O.J. Simpson's acquittal in the killings, Goldman says, "you find a way somehow or other to adjust to the pain, to the anger, to the loss."
9. AUTOMAKERS SWITCH TO LIGHTER MATERIALS
To save on gas mileage, Ford, GM and others are experimenting with carbon fiber roofs, plastic windshields and aluminum foam bumpers.
10. A TALE OF TWO WORLD CUPS
Brazil's fervent love of soccer collides with public anger over charges of wasteful spending, corruption, traffic jams, strikes and a litany of other complaints.